Head of Facilities
Amsterdam International Community School
“Learning is at the heart of everything we do.”
AICS Head of Facilities (CAO-VO Scale 9 minimum €2.755,- maximum €4.164,-)
For this role, we are looking for a person to head up our school’s facilities team, connecting the technical side and caretaker support to education. At our school, the facilities team is in service of education. The person who fills this role, will have a range of responsibilities, but also access to excellent technical support from long standing external partners. This role essentially needs someone with a vision of how the facilities and the caretaking team can enhance the learning process and has the ability to help further develop the facilitation of the professional learning culture at the school in a responsible and sensible way.
About the Amsterdam International Community School (AICS)
The AICS is a Dutch International Primary and Secondary School in the Netherlands. We are the first and only IB school in the Netherlands that offers all four IB educational programmes, the PYP, MYP, DP and CP. Together with a number of other national Dutch schools we form the ‘Esprit Scholen’.
The AICS is a partly-state-funded community school, which enables us to deliver high-quality education at competitive fees. The AICS is a fully accredited member of the Council of International Schools (CIS) and offers international education to internationally mobile students from over 50 different nationalities.
The AICS currently offers primary education to students aged 4-11 and secondary education to students aged 11-18. The main language of instruction for classes is English. The AICS has three campuses throughout the city of Amsterdam: AICS South (Primary and Secondary, around 1250 students), AICS Satellite (Primary only, around 200 students) and AICS South East (Primary and Secondary, around 450 students).
To be a community where learning is at the heart of everything we do!
The AICS facilitates high quality, accessible, community-based international learning for students of all nationalities living in The Netherlands.
- Loves to facilitate (and understands) an IB education;
- Able to and enjoys organising and logistics;
- Able to collaborate and communicate effectively with the team;
- Is a systematic thinker;
- Can handle stressful situations and peak pressure moments calmly;
- Is flexible and embraces positive change;
- Has a heart for education and is able to develop the vision on the facilities and the (role of) the caretaking team in education along with the school leadership team.
Bachelor’s degree in a field appropriate for this position (Education, Facility Management, Business management or other equivalent disciplines), preferred. Relevant experience in working within an educational setting is preferred.
- Fluent in written and spoken English. (Willingness to become) fluent in Dutch is a plus;
- Has excellent people skills and experience in supervising staff;
- Excellent troubleshooting skills; the ability to narrow down the cause of an issue and determine a solution;
- Demonstrated ability to communicate with and work well with all levels within an organisation specifically working effectively within the culture and processes used in educational organisations;
- Highly organised with strong project management skills, and drive to meet organisational and departmental objectives; ability to manage projects on interrelated time lines;
- Ability to develop a facilities year plan for the school including budget;
- Proven ability to negotiate and work with vendors and consultants. Skilled in assessing quotations;
- Skilled in supervising work carried out by third parties;
- General theoretical and practically oriented knowledge of the field of facility management;
- Up-to-date knowledge of developments, laws and regulations in the field of facility management & technical design in the field of management and maintenance of buildings;
- Up-to-date knowledge of laws and regulations and guidelines in the field of occupational health and safety, prevention, safety and the environment.
Please submit applications before September 1st 2022 through this website.
Please be informed that we reserve the right to interview candidates before the closing date of the vacancy. All candidates do have equity in the process.
The Amsterdam International Community School is committed to creating a safe learning environment for our staff and students. Reference checks will include a check on child protection issues for all serious candidates. We will require a police clearance certificate for the last country of employment as well as a certificate of conduct (Verklaring Omtrent Gedrag, VOG) upon arrival in the Netherlands or if you are already a resident in the Netherlands.
Acquisition regarding this vacancy is not appreciated.