Primary Special Education Teacher
Amsterdam International Community School
“Learning is at the heart of everything we do.”
Primary Special Education Teacher
The Amsterdam International Community School (AICS) is a growing international school in Amsterdam. We are looking for enthusiastic, collaborative, skillful and experienced colleagues to join our team. Due to the continued growth of our school, we have job opportunities for the coming academic year for experienced Primary Special Education Teachers at one or more of our AICS campuses.
Pay scale L10 (min. €2.738,- max. €4.206,- full-time per month, before tax).
Starting date: August 2022
If you are available before August, please indicate this in your application letter.
About the Amsterdam International Community School (AICS)
The AICS is a Dutch International Primary and Secondary School. We are one of 40 schools worldwide and the only school in the Netherlands that offers the full IB continuum (IB PYP, MYP, DP, and CP). Together with a number of other national Dutch schools we form the ‘Esprit Scholen’.
The AICS is a partly-state-funded community school, which enables us to deliver high-quality education at competitive fees. The AICS is a fully-accredited member of the Council of International Schools (CIS) and offers international education to internationally-mobile students from over 50 different nationalities.
The AICS currently offers Primary education to students aged 4-11 and Secondary education to students aged 11-19. The main language of instruction for classes is English. The AICS is one school located in three campuses throughout the city of Amsterdam: AICS South (Primary and Secondary, over 1100 students), AICS Satellite (Primary only, around 200 students) and AICS South East (Primary and Secondary, over 300 students).
As of August 2021 the AICS is in collaboration with Stichting Kolom (a special education school group) to offer increased opportunities for special education for the children of international families via the AICS Student Support Centre. We are looking to employ Primary Special Education Teachers to work in this Centre to offer integrated special education in English. The AICS Student Support Centre is located at the AICS South Campus. This is a pilot project.
To be a community where learning is at the heart of everything we do.
The AICS facilitates high quality, accessible, community-based international learning for students of all nationalities living in The Netherlands.
You need to be:
- A qualified primary school teacher with experience and/or further education in special education and inclusion;
- Experienced in working with students with behavior and learning difficulties in a small group setting;
- Experienced in working with a team of specialists to create plans to offer highly-individualized school experiences to each student;
- An innovative and creative teacher, ideally with an strong understanding of inquiry-based learning, following the PYP;
- Able to contribute to a close school community and work as part of a dynamic and hardworking team;
- Flexible, resilient, and open to new ideas;
- Fluent in spoken and written English;
You need to have:
- A commitment to the school’s mission to provide high-quality community-based international learning in the form of the IB programme;
- A commitment to inclusion;
- A valid and relevant Primary education teaching qualification in your own country, preferably already accredited by DUO;
- A specialization in Special Education and inclusive education practices;
- At least two years’ Primary School teaching experience - experience in the PYP programme is preferred;
- Excellent knowledge and experience of different teaching and educational methodologies;
- An understanding and knowledge of intercultural competence;
- The ability and initiative to help create and implement school policies;
- Excellent command of the English language and general communication skills - additional spoken language skills would be an asset;
- A collaborative mindset and a good sense of humour.
The Amsterdam International Community School is committed to ensure a safe learning environment that supports child protection. The AICS requires a police clearance certificate for the last country of employment as well as a Dutch VOG upon arrival in the country or if you are already a resident in the Netherlands.
Please be informed that we reserve the right to interview candidates before the closing date of the vacancy. All candidates do have equity in the process.
Internal candidates take priority over external candidates.
Acquisition regarding this vacancy is not appreciated.